Take the time this year to enjoy the bounty of the fall season and mix up a batch of creamy pumpkin soup. Pumpkin soup is a comfort food, it always reminds me of my childhood and the precious moments we shared around the dinner table. Made with pumpkin, sweet potatoes and flavorful spices this will be a welcome treat on any fall afternoon or as a starter for your fall dinner party menu, either way this soup will not disappoint.
Here’s the recipe.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 cups canned cooked pumpkin
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of ground clove
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add the broth, sweet potatoes and pumpkin; cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cool. Puree half of the mixture at a time in a blender or food processor until smooth; return all to the pan.
- Add the milk, nutmeg, clove, ginger, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream and parsley.
- Spoon soup into bowls; top each with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with bacon.