Wow, you can believe that Easter is only a few weeks away? Well it is and now is the time to get inspired and start planning for your Easter celebrations. To get you off to a good start, I found these adorable Baby Bird Cookies, these will look great on your dessert table. I mean seriously, how cute are these. Once you bake up a batch of these cute little baby birdies, you will definitely be in the Easter holiday spirit.
Here’s the recipe.
Baby Bird CookiesPrint
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, cut in pieces
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Assorted paste, gel or liquid food colors
- White sanding (fine crystal) sugar
You’ll need baking sheets and a 6-in. bird cookie cutter.
- Pulse almonds in food processor until finely chopped. Add flour; process until almonds are finely ground. Add butter; pulse until crumbs form. Add sugar, egg and 11/2 tsp extract. Process just until dough forms.
- Pat dough into a ball; divide in half. Place one half between 2 sheets of wax paper on a dampened work surface; roll out to 1/4 in. thick. Repeat with other half. Slide onto a baking sheet; place in freezer about 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Remove top sheet of wax paper. With floured cutter, cut out as many birds as possible. With metal spatula, remove birds; place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, just until golden. Cool on baking sheet on wire rack 2 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely. Reroll scraps; cut more birds.
- Stir 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, remaining 1/2 tsp extract and 2 to 3 Tbsp water until smooth. Divide among smaller bowls; tint each to desired color. Spread icing over each cookie.
- Stir 1 cup confectioners’ sugar with about 4 tsp water until thick enough to pipe. Spoon into small ziptop bag; snip off a tiny corner of bag. Pipe designs on a cookie, then immediately sprinkle with sanding sugar. Repeat with other cookies. Let dry at least 12 hours. Tap off excess sugar.
Tip: Plan ahead: Store un-iced cookies airtight at room temperature up to a week, decorated cookies up to 3 days.
celebrate life in style…