Happy Friday and welcome to the beginning of a fabulous weekend. Our cocktail for this week is the Tequila Sunrise. It’s a classic cocktail that will never go out of style and is perfect for any occasion.
The Tequila Sunrise pairs perfectly with these spicy Piri-Piri Chicken Wings. These wings get their heat from a traditional Portuguese sauce, which makes hot Buffalo wings taste blah by comparison.
Here are the recipes:
Piri-Piri Chicken Wings with Lemon-Coriander MayoPrint
- *Piri-Piri Chicken Wings*
- 6 jalapeños
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup (50 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 lbs (1 kg) chicken winglets and drumettes (about 25 pieces)
- *Lemon-Coriander Mayo*
- 2⁄3 cup (150 mL) mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) smooth Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Piri-Piri Chicken Wings
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add jalapeños and garlic; toast for 10 to 12 minutes, turning often, until skins blacken and jalapeños and garlic are soft. Remove from the skillet. Put jalapeños in a small bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pop garlic cloves from their skins; chop coarsely. Wearing plastic gloves, peel as much skin as you can from jalapeños. Coarsely chop jalapeños, discarding stems but retaining seeds.
- In a small saucepan, combine jalapeños and their seeds, the garlic, oil, lemon juice and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 3 minutes for flavours to blend. Tip contents of saucepan into a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Pour into an airtight container; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss winglets and drumettes with 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) of the piri-piri sauce until well coated (wear plastic gloves if using your hands to do this). Spread wings out on prepared baking sheet; roast, uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time, until wings are golden brown and no longer pink inside. Transfer wings to a large bowl. Add 2 to 4 tbsp (25 to 60 mL) piri-piri sauce (depending on how fiery you like your wings); toss well. Pile chicken wings on a warm serving platter; serve at once with Lemon-coriander Mayo for dipping.
- Stir together mayonnaise, coriander, lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon, salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl until well combined.
- Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- 1 1/2 ounces of tequila
- 1/2 ounce of grenadine
- 4 to 5 ounces of orange juice
- Add grenadine to a highball glass.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes, add tequila, a squeeze of lime juice and orange juice.
- Garnish with orange slice and cherry.
celebrate life in style…